Make a Green Choice
The Westin San Diego has certainly implemented green practices and we are always trying to do more. We believe that economic growth and the well-being of society are inextricably tied to the health of the environment. Accordingly, we embrace our responsibility for environmental stewardship and are committed to integrating leading environmental practices and sustainability principles into our core business strategy. Through collaboration with our hotel owners, franchisees, suppliers and business partners, we actively work to reduce the environmental impact of our business activities and continually improve and innovate on practices aimed at: Conserving natural resources, Minimizing waste and pollution, Enhancing indoor environmental quality, Establishing and reporting on key environmental performance indicators and Raising environmental awareness among our associates, guests and communities.
Conserving water, energy and other resources is rewarding for you and great for the environment. Enjoy a $5 voucher at participating restaurants or 500 Starpoints® awarded at check-out for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure).
It feels good to conserve. Make A Green Choice.
To participate in the Make a Green Choice program, please tell us at check-in or look for the door hanger in your guestroom.
One night can mean significant savings
Hotel & Guest Rooms
All areas of the Westin San Diego has recycling bins, including our meeting rooms. If requested, we are happy to provide rolling recycling stations in each meeting room that include a separate bin for paper, cans, and waste. Every department of our hotel uses recycled paper for all printing and copying.
The hotel also recycles its grease trap oil to create bio-diesel.
We gladly offer walking maps and information on public transportation. Because of our location, guests have no need to use a car while staying at our property. We are only one block from the trolley line, two blocks to the train station, and within walking distance to all downtown activities.
The Westin San Diego is pleased to provide all of our guests with a complimentary airport shuttle. The shuttle cuts down on the need for guests to rent cars or use separate taxi cabs.
- Linen Program: Sheets are only laundered upon guest’s request.
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs have been installed in all guestrooms, lobbies and hallways.
- We use low-flow toilets in all guestrooms.
- Dual Shower-Head Program: Guests can opt to use only one showerhead during their stay or, by removing a pin in the second showerhead, they can utilize both.
Meeting Planning & Meeting Set-up
Paperless Meeting Planning
- Electronic sales tools are provided during the meeting planning process to conserve paper, including electronic sales proposals, contracts, electronic menu and banquet event orders, and electronic booking tools using StarGroups and reservation cross-check.
Environmentally & Socially Conscious Activities
- Hotels offer the opportunity for meeting attendees to participate in environmental or community related team-building and/or volunteer activities.
- Hotels offer the opportunity for meeting attendees to participate in the Check Out for Children
Sustainable Meeting Services
- Default Paperless and Clutter Free Meeting set-ups are employed.
- When printed material is required, recycled content paper products and double-sided printing are chosen by default.
- Recycled content paper flip-charts, white boards and environmentally friendly non-paper supplies are provided by default.
- Meeting signage is carried through LCD/LED screens or other sustainable supports.
- Potted plants or organically grown flowers are available upon request in lieu of cut flowers.
- Access to sustainable transportation services is available.
- Recycling bins are available in all meeting spaces.
Sustainable Food & Beverage Practices
- Sustainable and/or locally sourced food options are offered as part of the meeting menu.
- Meeting spaces are designed using tables that do not require linen by default. If table coverings are preferred by the meeting planner, reusable alternatives, such as cloth, are offered.
- China and silverware service are used by default. If disposable food packaging is required, environmentally friendly options are proposed.
- Condiments are provided in bulk containers/dispensers to reduce waste.
- Environmentally friendly alternatives to conventional bottled water are available by default.
- Leftover food may be donated to local charitable groups (subject to local regulations).